If your child is enrolled in our Fall 2018 Girls Who Code club (beginning Sep. 19th 2018), then we are looking forward to seeing you and your student soon! We would really appreciate if parents are willing to volunteer to bring some snacks or drinks for the girls to enjoy during class breaks. If you can participate and would like to select a date and a snack to bring, please let us know by signing up here.
Thanks for your support!
The upcoming Fall 2018 after-school coding club will be a 10-week program beginning September 19th!
Interested in learning more? We will be holding two Info Sessions for students and parents to come learn more about the club and how they can get involved.
Join us Wed. 8/22 or Wed. 9/05 from 7 – 8 pm at the Girls For A Change Chesterfield location!
Black Girl Rally
Saturday, May 5th 12pm-4pm
Main Richmond Public Library
Come see what our Girl Action Teams have been working on.
*We would love a girl or girls to share their Girls Who Code Experience*
Ladies, please make sure to Save The Date for this wonderful opportunity below!
GE Girls Night
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Time: 4:30 pm- 8:30 pm
Location: Girls For A Change – 100 Buford Road North Chesterfield, VA 23235
GE Girls is sponsored by General Electric and is a program designed to encourage girls to explore the world of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), and STEM-based careers. The program began in 2011 with one program at MIT and has since grown to over nine programs, with more to come. In addition to the in-person programs, GE Girls launched the GE Girls Club in 2016 as a way to keep the conversation going about STEM. Since its inception, GE Girls has reached hundreds of girls who will continue to explore STEM and engage with the program throughout their high school years.
Check out the activities!
Curriculum Options (~3 rotate stations)
- Kano Kits – Coding
- Little Bits – Engineering
- Draw Circuits – Engineering
- Snap Circuits – Engineering
- Ozobots/Robotics – Coding/Robotics
- Rasberry Pi – Coding/Robotics
- Makey Makey – Engineering/Coding
REGISTRATION COMING SOON!!
Hope you all are enjoying (relaxing) on this Spring Break weekend. Here are a few announcements/reminders for the remaining of the session.
- Remember, there is no class this week for SB and the program will resume next Tuesday, April 10th.
- There is a make-up class Saturday, April 14th from 9am – 1pm. Breakfast will be provided. It is highly recommended they be there to finish up their projects, but completely understand if you have plans already. I made it 4 hours, just in case they can only come for a couple hours in the beginning or end, that is completely understandable. I wanted to give the girls a chance to make up for our field trip day to the movies last week.
- Our ceremony (last class) will be held May 1st from 6pm – 8pm at the University of Richmond Downtown. We will celebrate the girls and all they accomplished this session!
- The ceremony will be a potluck, please sign up here to let everyone know what you will be bringing.
- The address is 626 E Broad St # 100, Richmond, VA 23219. Click here for directions to the campus.
- Room TBA
Please let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, I’ll see you all next Tuesday 🙂
We’ve been given a great opportunity and the girls will be seeing A Wrinkle In Time! They were awarded free tickets to see the movie!
A Wrinkle in Time is a 2018 American science fantasy adventure film directed by Ava DuVernay and written by Jennifer Leeand Jeff Stockwell, based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Madeleine L’Engle. The film stars Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Peña, Storm Reid, Zach Galifianakis, and Chris Pine, and follows a young girl who, with the help of three astral travelers, sets off on a quest to find her father, who went missing after discovering a new planet.
You will need to have them meet us at theater by 5:30pm Tuesday, March 27th. Movie begins at 6pm. NO ONE will be at the Girls For A Change Center, it’s a field trip day.
Parents or family members are more than welcome to join us! You will just have to purchase your own movie ticket(s). The more the merrier!!
Here are directions to Bow Tie Movieland at Boulevard Square.
Also, REMINDER: No class April 3rd for Spring Break ☺ If your child can’t make it to the movies, we will see you at the next class April 10th.
Email/Call me know if you have any questions!
firstname.lastname@example.org | 703-434-9699
We’ve been given 15 free tickets to this Saturday’s Girl in Science Camp In at the Science Museum of Virginia.
All documents must be signed and turned in. If anyone wants to chaperone, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
*Please note that all campers must complete a medical form and turn it during at the Camp In Check-in process.
Camp In Check-in will begin at 6pm in the Rotunda – Camp In will end promptly at 9am the following morning.
I will be there charperoning and I’d love to see the girls there! It’s gonna be so much fun!
Girls in Science Flyer