Girls Who Code Clubs are free after-school programs that teach young women coding and computer science skills to impact their community and join our sisterhood of supportive peers and role models.
When and where does the program take place?
- Our Fall 2018 program will start September 19th, 2018, and run for 10 weeks.
- Classes will be every Wednesday from 6pm – 8pm (pending any holidays, advance updates to the schedule, etc)
- The class will meet at the Girls For a Change center: 100 Buford Rd, Richmond VA 23235
What will we learn and do?
- We will be focused on learning universally applicable web development skills to build group projects that will be shared and displayed at the end of the course.
- Online coding practice will be mixed in with interactive and hands-on learning projects to sharpen skills and stay engaged.
- Possible field trips include a discovery trip to the Science Museum and a movie night featuring women and girls in positive STEM roles.
What should parents know?
- The Fall 2018 club will only be available to all rising 6th — 8th grade girls.
- Personal laptops and previous coding experience not required.
- Classes hold 20 spaces, limited seating! Make sure you register early! Fall 2018 registration is now open.
How can parents contribute?
- If parents would like to volunteer to bring snacks or beverages for the girls to enjoy during class breaks, we would really appreciate it! Select a date to bring snacks.